Monday, April 30, 2012

Making Hay

"You've gotta make hay while the sun shines."  My old man said that more times than I can count.  It was a tenet he lived by and you can rest assured that he was the workin'est son of a b@#% anyone has ever seen.  His truth in that statement was simple, that a man should take every opportunity given to him because it may not be there tomorrow.  We will get into that in a moment.

Constant Reader (anyone a Stephen King fan?). You. I thank you. Never did I actually think there would be folks out there who read and respond to what I write.  I'm floored each time I meet a person that says, "I love your site!"  Those that have been here since the beginning and have been keeping count will realize that this is my 100th post.  Big deal, I'm not here to celebrate me.  I never thought I had 10 in me, much less 100.  Have I written things to ruffle feathers?  Sometimes.  Have I said things that can be taken the wrong way?  Absolutely.  Have I given the impression that I am a superior fireman?  God, I hope not!  Do I wish I could take back some of the things I've stated? Not at all, you see, these are my thoughts about this job.  I may not hit the mark every time, but I strive to.  Anything that I write comes from the heart of a guy that has a love for this noble profession no man can top. Perhaps match, but never top.  I still have the same love for this job that I did the night I got voted on my first department.  Sure, I may say things in an abrasive way, but it's not to criticize, it's to spark thought, conversation, and hopefully change when change is warranted.


Now is the time for the uncomfortable conversation.  Without you guys, I would have no forum to expel my thoughts.  With that said, I've dipped from the well of negativity and discord for long enough.  Sure, raising Hell about people who don't get "It" felt good and right and gained me lots of page views.  I won't lie, it feels cathartic to write something unpopular with many but shared and read by the silent minority in this awesome profession.  However, what I have realized is that which lies in the bottom of the well is nothing worthy of any more of my time.  Only the putrid and murky water of disharmony and separatism reside in the depths of negativity.  What about the good that still exists in this profession?  I'll bet my next paycheck that Ben Franklin worried about the generation following him.  Guess what, centuries later we are STILL going strong!

Back to my old man and his saying.  An opportunity has arisen that I would be a fool to pass up.  It's hard to say this, but it is time for me to move on.  I've cut my teeth here, written some things that I'm proud of, and hopefully made you think.  Am I closing the site?  Nope, but it won't be posted on quite as frequently.  Will I return to write more posts?  I'll be around, certainly in a different forum and perhaps sometimes here.  The time has come for me to take what I have to another level.  You'll see me around.  I'll still be brutally honest, because I've always said if you want sugar sprinkled on the top, the bakery is right down the street. Just know that I'll never be able to change me any more than a tiger can change his stripes.

Thanks for sharing the posts.  Thanks for giving me a place to come that is pure, without ads, or distractions, or bullshi#.  Thanks for liking the page, even though I have never invited or begged for "Likes".  Begging is unbecoming of a person.  Thanks for telling me you like it when you meet me.  Thanks for feeding my selfish little ego.  More than anything, thanks for reading.  I'll be around, just in a different place.  Pay attention and you'll find me.

Right now, it's warm on my face.  Standing at the edge of the field, the sun is shining and I have my scythe in my hands anticipating the work that lies ahead.  Thanks Dad, for the profound wisdom and the hands that guided me into manhood.

8 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that you'll be working the job less on "WTJ." Thank you for the honesty. Sometimes I think honesty is confused with negativity. My old man said to me, "The truth has no anger."

    Keep speaking your truth.

    I look forward to hearing you speak your truth however it appears in the future.

    Thanks Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. 100% Correct Mike. You guys are pretty smart. I may throw out some stuff here and there, but it's time to take it up a notch. Thanks for reading guys!

      Delete
    2. Actually not going there so much as giving more to the FSW Community. I don't wanna make it seem like I'm anything special. It just seems that the best of what I write I send to them, so it only seems like a natural progression for me to always give my best to a community that is thriving and growing.

      Delete
  3. Jason,

    Like Mike said, I was thinking FSW when I read the post. Really appreciate the thoughts you have conveyed here and there on a variety of topics. Without stumbling upon this site, I wouldn't have come across other sites as well that are also thought provoking and great reads. Look forward to your posts on FSW. Recently read the 6" article, it was spot on and a good read.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, thanks for the positive feedback buddy! I like meeting like minded folks and I really enjoyed the 5k in Indy. As much as a person can enjoy that type of torture!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that you're taking it to the next level, even if it means less posts on WTJ.

    You're right about begging, it is deplorable and unbecoming. I still feel dirty for disgracing the Gentlemanly Fire Service Bloggers Association. Maybe one day I'll redeem myself.

    Looking forward to seeing more quality posts from you on FSW.

    -Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, pleading on the platform of charity is much different than begging for the sake of popularity. If I woulda had a beef wit' cha' I woulda called you first! Keep on keepin' on buddy. And, when you see Jonah at Combat Ready, get a date for GFSBA NC Chapter Meeting. It would be fun to have supper and a beer one evening!

      Delete